Monday, April 11, 2005

(Another) Poker Weekend

Started off Friday night over my friend Dave's place for a nice friendly home game. There were 7 of us in all: me, my wife Jen, Luke, Kristen, Dave, Roy, and Lou. We all decided on a $30 buy-in for $3,000 in chips, no re-buys and no-limit. Blinds started at $25-50 and went up every 15 minutes. I slogged my way through the first hour-and-a-half, not getting any big starting hands or hitting flops, but also avoiding elimination.

It finally came down to our gracious host Dave, my lovely wife, and myself. I was severely short stacked with about $1,200 but finally got some decent starting hands. After winning a couple pots (and stealing a couple others), I was up to 2nd in chips. Jen knocked out Dave and now we're both in the money. I was dealt the big blind special of 6-3 and got to see the flop for free...6-6-x. We both checked the flop, and I checked the turn as well. Jen bluffed with an all-in, and I was more than glad to call with trips. Now I was the one with the chip lead, and she coyly asked if I wanted to chop the pot. I agreed after a bit of a chuckle (she didn't offer to chop before that hand, did she!), but only if I got the extra $10 ($110/$100).

Six of us went on to play a $1-1 no-limit cash game with a $40 max buy-in, Kristen hung out with Dave's wife Sherrie instead. Not only was I dealt playable cards, I was just hitting the flops like Tyson hit Trevor Berbick. Limped in one hand with J-10 of clubs, and the flop was K-x-x, ALL clubs. Poor Luke flopped two pair and we ended up all-in...he didn't improve and I took down a $75 pot. Lou, who had only played hold-em online with play money up to this point, made a huuuge layown that hand with 9-7 of clubs AFTER the flop. I also took down another big pot with pocket Jacks...I raised pre-flop and bet every street including the river; Dave has a bad habit of chasing pots with 2nd/3rd pair or straight/flush draws...he folded on the river and everyone else thought I had bluffed, so I showed the Jacks in hopes of keeping a solid image.

I made a huge read one hand with pocket 5's...Luke had raised to $7 pre-flop and Dave & I went along for the ride. We checked all the way to the river with the board reading K-K-3-3-x. Luke bet $12 and Dave insta-called...my gut told me they both had an Ace with the 2 pair on the board, so I called and sure enough...that's what they had. Neither was too happy with my 'loose call,' but it turned out to be the best read I've made in a long time.

The last hand of the night was nice as well, limped in with J-9 and caught a perfect flop of J-9-x rainbow. I nonchalantly made a pot-sized bet, and Dave instantly went all-in...I called and he showed J-8. The turn was a blank and he was drawing dead. I cashed out with $280, bringing the night's total profits up to $320...Jimmy happy!

Part II to follow...

No comments: