Saturday, February 04, 2006

Iron Man Chump

Played .50/1.00 NL practically every day in January on Full Tilt in order to qualify for their Iron Man Freeroll. Winner gets $2,400 plus a shot heads-up against three of the FTP pros for up to $50k more. Of course my Iron Man qualifying coincided with a terrible slump, so the "freeroll" essentially cost me 1/4 of my online bankroll...and a bit of my sanity.

I was psyched to play the freeroll today, didn't even fire up my web browser so I could concentrate 100% on my game and the players at my table. Took an early hit when I limped/called a loose short-stacker's all-in with 33 from EP. Loosey goose showed 10-9c and spiked his 9 on the river, natch. Shortly after I limped from EP with 44, only to fold to the big stack's pot-sized raise. Very next hand the poker gods dealt me KK, so I limped again UTG. A player in MP pumped in a healthy raise, so I pushed. He called with QQ and the Cowboys held up.

My 1,500 had grown to about 2,200 when I decided to play a hand as badly as one can. Big stack limped UTG, and it's folded to me in the SB with A10h. My first instinct was to just call and slowplay if I hit the flop, but I was a bit worried about Mr. UTG...so I pumped it up to about 4x BB, only UTG called. The flop was A-x-x with only one heart, and now I was a deer-in-the headlights as far as what to do. If I checked, he could just fire at the pot whether he's got an Ace or not, which would put me in a tough spot. If I tried to take it down with a pot-sized bet, he could come over the top if he had AJ, AQ, AK, or a pair that became trips on the flop, and I'd probably have to fold, out a healthy chunk of my stack. So I decided on option #3, a half-pot bet...if he didn't hit the flop, he'd probably fold. UTG decided to min-raise me, which always confuses me. It either means that he doesn't think I hit the flop and is trying to get me to fold, or he's got a monster.

So what to do, push or fold? I AGAIN chose option #3...a weak-ass min-reraise! What in the blue hell was I thinking??? UTG min-raised me back, and I called. Turn didn't pair my ten, and I check-folded. End of hand chip count: 660.

I survived another orbit or so before pushing from the button with A10s, Mr. Big Stack obliged by calling with KJs, hit his J on the turn, I missed my OESD on the river and was sent packing in 493rd out of 719.

Looking back, I should've chosen option #2 in my fateful hand and bet heavy at the pot. If he raises, then I fold and head to the next hand. Lesson learned...I've got another (live) tourney tonight at 8, hopefully I'll make better decisions in key spots.

No comments: