Saturday, September 13, 2008

Tao of Omaha

I played in this:



...which lead to this e-mail:

PokerStars Tournament #107477542, Pot Limit Omaha
Buy-In: $10.00/$1.00
37 players
Total Prize Pool: $370.00
Tournament started - 2008/09/13 - 16:20:00 (ET)

You finished the tournament in 1st place.
A $148.00 award has been credited to your Real Money account.

Congratulations!
Thank you for participating.


I doubled up early when my river shove of a full house was called by someone who I guess thought we were playing Omaha H/L...at least he had the nut low, lol.

When the final table started, I was about 5th in chips and stayed on the lower end of the totem pole until I busted AlCan'tHang. I was dealt an ideal Omaha drawing hand: 9d-8c-7d-6c. Al raised pot, which was about 2/3 of his chips, and I decided to take my stand & shoved my 9 BB stack. Al called with Ad-Kh-Jh-7c, making me a slight underdog...until the flop came 5-5-6 with two diamonds. Al still had tons of outs, but there were a handful of cards that would lock it up for me, and the 4c on the turn did just that. He wasn't too happy about it, hopefully I can make it up to him with a little SoCo if we cross paths in AC later this week.

We were stuck on the money bubble for a while, but it eventually broke...then I took the chip lead three-handed on a flopped boat, and made it to heads-up against 777GMoney with a better than 2-to-1 chiplead. GMoney started to open up his play, raising and taking down a number of hands, and took the lead away from me. I then found Ad-Kd-Kh-2h on the button and decided to lay a trap by limping. Sure enough, GMoney raised, I bumped it up, and we got it all in pre-flop. He showed Qh-Qs-9s-8d, so I was ahead...but that never means much in Omaha with five cards still to come.

The 7h-8s-4h flop gave me a heart flush draw to go with my Kings, and the 6h on the turn locked it up for me. Good thing I hit that flush, since the river brought a third Queen for GMoney. This whole having-others-drawing-dead-on-the-turn thing, I could get used to it...

Holding a 10-to-1 lead, I called GMoney's pre-flop shove with Ks-Ts-8c-7h. He was ahead with Js-6d-6c-2c, but I spiked a King on the river to seal the deal.

Thanks again to Dr Pauly for hosting the tourney...I'll owe him a drink or two at the Borgata as well!

As far as Atlantic City goes, Jen & I planned to drive down Thursday afternoon for a long weekend of poker & slots...but she might have a doctor's appointment at some point over the weekend, and we won't know if/when until Monday.

Keeping fingers crossed...

No comments: