Sunday, September 14, 2003

It was a pretty uneventful...ok, downright lazy...Sunday in Central Connecticut for me. My weekend highlight was yesterday- picking out my wedding gift from that lovely wife of mine. I got a 27-inch TV for the living room, a huge upgrade from the 20-incher we've had for the past couple years. Jen was willing to buy any set I wanted From SAM'S Club or Wal*Mart (paying with their store credit), but I decided on a Sylvania for under $180. It was the biggest set that would fit in our entertainment system, plus I felt we didn't need to waste any extra dough on a flat-screen or HDTV. It took me two-plus frustrating hours to reconnect the digital cable & TiVo to the new boob tube, but got it done in time for the start of our weekly NFL fix. Thanks Moops, I love it! Now we gotta get the stereo speakers hooked up...

It was a relief to see the Pats rebound today from an awful Week 1 loss and beat the Eagles, last year's NFC runners-up, 31-10. An 0-2 start in the AFC East would've been a tough hole to climb out of. I'm still worried about New England's running game. Tom Brady was the master of dink and dunk today, completing high-percentage passes to ten different receivers...but the Pats will eventually need to establish the run if they want to be playoff contenders. Hopefully this will be Kevin Faulk's breakout season, because I don't see Antowain Smith regaining his 2001 form anytime soon.

I've been doing a lot of daydreaming as of late, waiting for that million dollar lightbulb to flash over my head. And while I haven't written a book or invented a new game (although I'm gradually working on both), I did get an e-mail from ESPN that's fired me up:

"HERE IS YOUR CHANCE TO BE THE NEXT SPORTSCENTER ANCHOR!

ESPN introduces Dream Job, a new reality series that will visit 29 cities across the U.S. in search of the next SportsCenter anchor. One lucky person will walk away with a one year, on-air
SportsCenter contract and a possible starring role in a SportsCenter commercial. The Dream Job Open Casting Tour kicks off on Tuesday and is coming to a city near you!

For more details on the Dream Job Open Casting Tour, click here.

Dream Job premieres February 2004 on ESPN."

There was a period when I wanted to become a sportscaster. I took TV journalism classes in college, and even applied for a prodcution assistant job at the ESPN headquarters in nearby Bristol...still got the postcard from them turning me down. But after interning one summer for Channel 3's sports department, I realized how difficult it would be to succeed.

So now I've got plans for Saturday- a tryout at Jillian's in Boston. I may have a face for radio, but at least I also have a glimmer of hope to fufill a dream.

No comments: